Preach The Gospel - Mike Chipman

 


After becoming a believer at the age of 18, I quickly realized that not all sermons were made alike. My categories were rough, but they worked for me. There were “salvation sermons” that really only worked for the unsaved. Another type was the “how-to sermon” which focused on some tidbit of wisdom that helped us live better. Last, there were the “deep sermons” that really focused on the original languages or some theological concept. Those deep sermons drew me in and I started gobbling any theological book I could get my hands on. I started listening to sermons on the radio (this was before they were widely posted) and I knew that if I ever did pastoral ministry, I was going to be a “deep sermon” kind of guy.

Fast-forward 7-8 years and I’m in full-time ministry at New Albany ARP and I’m a new seminary student taking my first Bible classes. I had “Genesis to Joshua” with Dr. Richard Pratt who taught the book in a way I had never heard Genesis (or any book) taught. I had been asked to fill the pulpit one Sunday evening at the church, and I promptly chose Genesis 11 and the Tower of Babel narrative. Dr. Pratt had just taught us all the technical ins and outs of that text, so I was thrilled to tell everyone all that I knew. I did just that. I let them in on what it means when a cohortative is followed by an imperative, and I think I went into some detail about the Hebrew word for “tar” here. I’m sure it was memorable. I was so proud of my sermon that I sent it to a friend, Rev. Tim Phillips, for his review. I was under care with Mississippi Valley Presbytery at the time and I sincerely did want their input on my development as a pastoral candidate. Tim was gracious to me. If I remember correctly, he complimented my attention to detail, but what I remember vividly was his criticism. To this day, I count it as the major turning point in how I viewed the pulpit and the ministry of the Word of God. He said, “The problem is there is no mention of Christ.” I thought, “Well, but the text isn’t about Jesus. Thankfully, Tim took the time to show me just where Jesus was in that text. As my seminary class continued, Dr. Pratt carefully walked us through a redemptive-historical approach to the Scriptures. From that point on my sermon categories changed. I asked, “Why isn’t every sermon a salvation sermon? Why couldn’t a salvation sermon also teach me how to live and be deep?”

Fast-forward 15 years. I’m now 6 years into a bi-vocational calling as a high school teacher and church planter. Our church, Redeemer Community Church, has flourished in-spite of its introverted, quarter-time pastor. One thing that has remained consistent is the preaching of Jesus Christ every week. I’m as plain as they come. I try to keep things on the top shelf - low enough to be accessible, but still high enough to make them reach. I teach them how the gospel applies to their lives. I teach them the role of repentance and obedience in the life of a believer. I teach them about Jesus. Every sermon is about salvation - whether the salvation they know or the salvation they can have.

“Great story, Mike, but why this article? Don't all reformed churches preach Christ every Sunday?” I assumed that. I know many that do and have been faithfully doing so for years. Yet, I recently heard a string of sermons by ordained, reformed ministers. Those sermons had little to do with Jesus. They had little to do with anything really. They were generally expository. They were informative. Yet, in the end, I was left with the unanswered question, “So what?” Also, I could not have answered the question “Who is Jesus?” by listening to their sermon. A few, sadly, were borderline heresy, telling me I need to “work harder and be better” rather than offering me any hope. After that string of sermons, I did some research. I listened to 5-6 random sermons from several ordained, Presbyterian ministers. I heard sermons from the Old Testament history, the major prophets, the gospels, and the New Testament letters. Less than half of those sermons were Christ-centered. Most of them mentioned Christ. A few even made the connection to Jesus for me. Yet, at the end of the day, the hope I needed was left on the table. It was assumed by the preacher rather than offered to me.

Pastor, do you assume your people know the gospel? Do you assume they know it today like they did yesterday? I know my own heart. My heart will be thoroughly convinced of the truth one day, and the next I’ll be wrecked at sea, tossed by every wicked thought, and headed toward despair. On those days, I need to know that Jesus suffered, bled, and died for me. I need to know my righteousness will never measure up. I need to hear that it doesn’t have to because I am clothed in the righteous robe of my Redeemer. I need the gospel. And that’s just Tuesday! 

As you consider your church, what makes you think that your people have moved past “salvation sermons” and now just need “how-to” and “deep” stuff? Maybe you’ve been pressured by a congregant who has said something like, “We already know these things. We need you to teach us things we don’t know.” (wish I was making that up) Maybe they’ve said, “My boys need something more practical for their day to day life. The gospel is great, but it’s not practical” (that one is from my youth ministry days from a “concerned parent”) Brother, remember these words, “For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.” (2 Cor 2:2) Imagine if Paul had given the Corinthian church (and Christ’s church through the centuries) “10 Helpful Tips I Learned While on Mission” or “7 Facts about Jesus You Probably Didn’t Know.” Had Paul preached the types of click-bait sermons I’ve heard, we’d all be doomed. Our hope would rest on a pile of facts and our own ability to be better, try harder, and not say cuss words. What kind of hope is that?

Brothers, preach the word. Offer them Jesus Christ. Picture a single mother walking in the back door with a baby on her hip and a toddler at her feet. What hope do you have to offer her today? Tips? Facts? Will you offer her the only hope on this earth that anyone can possibly have? Or will you just give her something she could get from reading Wikipedia or watching Dr. Phil? And please, let us keep one another accountable to that end. Listen to one another’s sermons. Open yourself to criticism. You aren’t above it, and if you’re anything like me, you need it. As for me, I don’t pretend to be an expert, or one who gets it right every time. I need your prayers and direction as well. Let us spur one another on toward being faithful to the text of Scripture and preaching the fullness of the gospel. Let us be faithful to “know nothing..except Jesus Christ and him crucified” Our churches will grow and benefit from it and believers in the ARP will be strengthened and encouraged by the truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Reluctant ARP Pastor's Take on Synod

A Friendly Response to “A Reluctant ARP Pastor's Take on Synod” - Andy Webb

Evening Worship Services and the ARP by Rev. Benjamin Glaser