You Just Wait... - Mike Chipman

 


A few weeks before my wedding, many older, wiser individuals had advice for me. They could tell I was excited about my upcoming marriage, so they wanted to make sure I had realistic expectations. They would start their sage words with “You just wait…” Then they would tell me how things wouldn’t always be good. They told me that marriage would be hard. They told me to enjoy these newlywed years because it fades fast. I remember thinking, “Wow, they must really dislike their spouse.”

It happened again when we bought our first house. Then again when we were expecting our first child. Even as I told other pastors that my church plant was going well, they couldn’t resist the urge to chime in with a, “You just wait…” Every time I’ve had those conversations, I walked away wondering, “Why are these people so bitter?” I tend to be a negative person myself, but when it came to happy things like marriage and children, I was shocked at all the negativity.

As you’re reading this, some of you are probably also thinking, “Ah, this young guy doesn’t know anything.” Maybe not. I do know there are lots of unhappy and bitter people though. Why the bitterness? Specifically - why the bitterness when it comes to younger people? One of our duties as believers is to disciple the younger generation. Titus 2 outlines this plainly, and as I reviewed the words there, it made me think of all the times I was guilty of the same sins. Rather than urging men to have self-control, I have maligned “this generation” for not having the good sense that I obviously do. Rather than showing myself to be a model of good works, I have often pointed out the not-so-good works of others. Rather than my teaching showing integrity and dignity, my teaching has been soured with, “I wish things were like the good ole days.” Out of one side of my mouth, I loathe being told to “just wait” but out of the other I scoff at those younger than me.

What are we waiting for, Church? Perhaps we are the ones “just waiting” by the Bible Bus Stop, just waiting for Jesus to come back and save us from the bitterness that is decaying our souls. While a younger generation longs for guidance and desires to serve, we only give them hard sayings and a cold shoulder. Rather than share in their joys, we return them stained by our own regrets. Paul would have us speak and act toward them so that nothing evil could be said about us. What are the younger Christians saying about us? Do they hear about happy marriages and how awesome it is to raise a family? Do they hear about the joys of working in the ministry and how wonderful it is to serve the Lord? Or do they shy away from us, seeing us as bastions of sour grapes?

Christian, remember the hope we have. We have hope in a risen Savior, so let us speak to our younger generation as if that is true. You just wait. It will pay dividends that will edify the church and bring glory to our Lord Jesus.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Reluctant ARP Pastor's Take on Synod

A Friendly Response to “A Reluctant ARP Pastor's Take on Synod” - Andy Webb

Evening Worship Services and the ARP by Rev. Benjamin Glaser