A Word of Encouragement to the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church Pastorate: From A Life-long Member - David Pendergrass





I may not have a historical ARP name. I may not have grown up going to the more recognizable ARP churches (though Doraville ARP does garner a fair number of smiles when I mention where I was raised). I may not be in the “thick of things,” pastoring a flock. But God has blessed me in a different way. Since I began my role at Erskine College recruiting for the new ministry program, and doing intentional church relations work, I have been able to see my denomination from numerous angles. While not every single aspect was good (we are sinful after all), I have found great encouragement – and wanted to share that with my fathers and brothers in the church. 

 

The Spirit Is Working

If this past 2021 General Synod is not evidence enough, God is not done with the ARP church! Since late 2019, I have had the pleasure of going to (nearly) every presbytery of our beloved denomination (some of them twice!), and I want to encourage many of you with these words. God is working in the ARP church. Whether it is the multitude of church plants out of the Florida Presbytery (7 at the time of writing), or the advances Mississippi-Valley Presbytery is having out West, to the growing number of Korean churches in the NorthEastPresbytery, and the potential influx of churches into Virginia Presbytery… God is doing things across our missional field – and that is just the presbyteries

 

World Witness was blessed to receive forty-six names interested in mission work through its 2-2-20 initiative. For at least the last decade, Quest and Horizon Conferences have been tilled into fertile ground to spread the seed of God’s Word into the hearts and minds of the young people of our denomination. Bonclarken continues to be both outreach and a place of respite for many of us. Erskine College is growing (whatever you may think of the immediate effects), and Erskine Theological Seminary is continuing to shepherd the shepherds. While we may be a small denomination, we are not “dead.” 

 

God is Drawing

In my travels for Erskine, I have had the pleasure to meet numerous individuals from all over the country. Many of these people are not currently members of ARP churches – but nearly all of them have incredibly good views of our denomination, and its direction. One couple, who moved from New York City, after leaving a “Keller Church Plant,” happened into our very own Watson Gunderson’s church around Myrtle Beach. From the story they told me, they were leaving a very broken church – one that truly misunderstood the Doctrines of Grace and our role in obedience as Christians. They walked into this small ARP church without any expectations… and they were uplifted by the Gospel that morning. 

 

They described how, with a sigh of relief, they found a faithful church, a faithful minister of the Gospeland a church body dependent wholly on God. They spoke our history back to me when they exclaimed that they heard the free offer of the Gospel! Not something watered down, or something that sought to gild over the difficulties of life or sin. Fathers and brothers… this is encouraging news! Our brothers and sisters from similar denominations are becoming weary of the theological battles and internal struggles facing them. There is Gospel Truth within our denomination that we must recognize is God’s work in us and not stand in the way! Now that is not to say that we are perfect – by no means! But, in the midst of denominational fiduciary concerns, let us remember that God is refining us and not abandoning us. 

 

Our Lord is Leading

What do I hope to accomplish by this post? I want to encourage you – each and every one of you. The Lord is leading us through difficult times. We are not abandoned, we are not forsaken. Continue to boldly proclaim Christ crucified. Continue to shepherd your flock remembering that He is guiding your steps and will not leave you or forsake you! 

 

Are we in the midst of a difficult time for our denomination? Sure. But it is often in the midst of struggles that we truly understand what it means to rely wholly on the Lord. Could it be argued that things could be much worse? I think the #SBC21 and tough decisions of the PCA General Assembly speakaffirmatively to that question. That isn’t to say that those difficult decisions aren’t headed our way – and we certainlyhave a lot to do to prepare for the theological questions which will be knocking on our door soon enough. But be encouraged that we are surrounded by fathers and brothers who genuinely care for God’s people, and wish to see her flourish through good shepherding. 

 

If I could recommend just one thing to the pastors of the ARP church it would be this – get to know your fathers and brothers outside your presbytery. I know that isn’t exactly an easy task. You have your own day to day things to consider. You have your ministry, your family. You have duties and responsibilities. But if I have been taught one thing from my travels, it is that I was caught up in a rather small bubble of understanding in this denomination. Having grown up in Georgia and the Carolinas I did not fully understand (or appreciate) what the Triune Godhead was doing in my dear ARP family across the presbyteries. Be encouraged by the brief update. Seek fellowship with these fathers and brothers on the front lines of other battle fields. 

 

“As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.” (Prov. 27:17) These last two years (give or take a few months) have been enlightening, and sharpening, for me as I have been able to travel around the denomination. I pray that these encouragements lift you up, and spur you forward in ministry. If we have not spoken yet, please know that my phone (and email) is always open, and I would love to talk more! I have seen the fulness of the blessings that God has given to me and my family during my time at Erskine College (as an employee) and Theological Seminary (as a student). I want to extend those blessings however I am able, and cover you in prayer. 

 

LORD, thank You for Your ministry in the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church. You have been so faithful with this denomination for hundreds of years and I thank You for Your continued blessings. Heavenly Father, I lift up my fathers and brothers across these United States – and abroad – and ask that You would continue to bless them in ministry. Uphold them by Your grace, sustain them and their family in Your mercy, and continue to draw them ever towards Your throne. Each day may they be refreshed through the work of Your Spirit, so that they may be able to continue to point others to Christ. I pray this in His name – the Name Above All Names – AMEN. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Reluctant ARP Pastor's Take on Synod

A Friendly Response to “A Reluctant ARP Pastor's Take on Synod” - Andy Webb

Evening Worship Services and the ARP by Rev. Benjamin Glaser