The Helpers Are Tired - Brian Howard

 



Maybe youve seen the short quote from Mr. Fred Rogers as he reflects on his mothers advice to him whenever he was alarmed by world events. Look for the helpers” shed say, Theres always someone who is trying to help.

 

Most pastors I know fall into this category of Helper. Were not in it for the money or the retirement plan. Were not in it for a podcast or publication. Were in ministry because the Lord has called us here to, like Peter, feed my sheep” (John 21:17). And that means doing a lot helping. 

 

Id also add that most pastors are not in ministry to be expert epidemiologists or to provide a 24/7 supply of pithy social media hot-takes. We didnt enter ministry to mediate heated debates among our church leaders on mask mandates and cleaning protocols. We came to the pulpit that God provided so we could take part in His eternity-long plan to preach the Gospel as the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes” (Romans 1:16).

 

Yet, here we are. What weve been called to as of late has required a whole new skill set and personal resilience. Its been tough. This is not new information, but maybe youre like me. I honestly thought wed be back to some kind of normal by now. But 2021 has just been a variation of themes from 2020.

 

I had my annual check-up not too long ago. The doctor (Dr. T.) asked me dozens of questions. When she got about halfway she asked, Have you felt down or depressed?” I paused. Well, Im not sure.” We talked for a few minutes and I described some things that I wont go into detail about here (youre likely well-versed in them too). Dr. T. said, Mr. Howard, youre a helper. And the helpers are tired.” 

 

The helpers are tired.” That clicked for me. All the doctors, nurses, teachers, counselors, pastors, school-board members, coaches, and more who are called to do one thingare (for now at least) spending more time doing some other thing. Dr. T. told me, As long as youre bouncing back after a day or so and arent feeling too hopeless, I think youre okay.

 

So, no. I guess Im not depressed or hopeless. Im just tired. Not tired of helping, mind you. But tired of the kind of helpingthat seems to be needed right now. Maybe you are, too. Im reminded here of a verse that Ive often shared with volunteers and church leaders. But I guess I need to share it with myself, too:

 

Let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith” (Galatians 6:9-10).

 

Lord, help me and my brothers in ministry to not grow weary. Strengthen us so we can strengthen others. Let us stay at the plow for that due season.” Equip us to do good to everyone, especially those under our care as Ministers and Elders. In Jesus name, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Reluctant ARP Pastor's Take on Synod

A Friendly Response to “A Reluctant ARP Pastor's Take on Synod” - Andy Webb

Evening Worship Services and the ARP by Rev. Benjamin Glaser