A Theology of Nature - James McManus

 


One of the first Shorter Catechism questions to lodge in my mind (after #1, which all good Reformed Presbyterians know!) was #35, “What is sanctification? Sanctification is the work of God's free grace, whereby we are renewed in the whole man after the image of God, and are enabled more and more to die unto sin, and live unto righteousness.” I am sure for many of us who read this blog, this one is familiar to you as well - it has been helpful in your own spiritual growth and in counseling others in their spiritual growth as well. It reminds us that sanctification is a life-long process of God that may be painful at times, but, in the end, is all worth it, because we are being renewed after our created image. 


In my own Christian life, I have been surprised by some aspects of God’s sanctification. It’s not always the “how” - I have found that primarily happens through the means of grace. It’s been more in the “what” … that as I die to certain sins, God introduces me to an aspect of His being and/or creation for me to delight in. It’s the classic “put off/put on” of Scripture  - that as I “put off” a sin, God shows me something to “put on” in its place. 


What has been most surprising for me in this is God showing me the delight of His creation that is around me. As I “grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ”, I find that I am enjoying nature more and more. That’s surprising to me because I wasn’t necessarily raised to delight in nature. I had, in some ways, the quintessential all-American childhood - out riding bikes all day long … playing baseball, football and basketball at the park and in the neighborhoods … climbing trees & exploring little patches of woods that were scatted throughout Shaw Air Force Base. I did some camping with the Royal Ambassadors from our Baptist church - going to Lake Wateree, fishing, cooking hobo meals on the fire, tents circling our campsite. When I think of my childhood, some part of those memories are of being outside, surrounded by pine trees and kicking up the sandy soil of Sumter, SC. 


But, I was by no means an outdoor enthusiast. I didn’t delight in my natural surroundings. They were just part of the scenery of playing ball, riding bikes, engaging in pretend battles. And, as I got into my teens and young adulthood, more and more of my time was spent inside homes or cars, hanging out with friends. There were bonfires - but that was more for mischief than anything else. I enjoyed the changing of seasons reflected in nature, but, by no means, was I anything close to being a nature lover. It was just part of the scenery of life. 


Now, I am 45 years old, and 24 years into a serious walk with Christ … and I find that I am delighting more in nature. And, that has surprised me because I didn’t see that coming. Yet, it has, and the more I read Scripture, the more I find it makes sense. 


The opening chapters of Genesis are about God creating all things in the span of 6 days. Part of that account is His creating all of nature - and pronouncing it good (and then sin entered the picture in chapter 3). Psalm 19 is that wonderful testimony that all of creation declares there is a God - all we have to do is go outside and look around, and surrounding us is the fingerprints of God. Paul explains in Romans 1 that no one has the excuse of not knowing there is a God b/c of the truth of Psalm 19. Even when we read Revelation, there is a natural tilt in the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ. So, it’s no surprise that God wants His people to enjoy the nature around them. As Christians grow, so grows their interest in the world that God has given them to live in. 


It’s interesting that I find as I read the older theologians, they like to talk about nature. Charles Spurgeon encouraged people who were struggling with prayer to go for a walk - that being out in God’s creation would help them to pray. The Puritans would pull from the natural world around them to illustrate the Gospel. Martin Luther once wrote, “The power of God is present at all places, even in the tiniest tree leaf  . . . God is wholly present in all creation, in every corner, behind you and before you.” David Calhoun, in his book “Swift and Beautiful” (which is a wonderful book!), in giving an account of John Leighton Wilson’s upbringing in the South Carolina Lowcounty, describes the nature of that area.  It seems to be that the older theologians enjoyed God in nature and enjoyed talking about it. Now, for what I am getting ready to say, I must add this caveat - my scope is admittedly small, so I may be way off base and in need of correction. In my current readings and understanding, it seems that Reformed theologians don’t talk as much about nature anymore. I don’t see it in the books, hear it in the discussions, see it counseled. Maybe I have missed it. Maybe I am in the wrong circles. There is plenty of discussion of technology and the use of it … what certain forms of technology are doing to the church and our witness … but I don’t see a lot about nature. (Andrew Peterson is one who has recently written about it, and I am currently reading his book “God in the Garden”, which is quite enjoyable). 


May I be so bold as to say that some need to be reminded of God’s command in Genesis 1:28, “28 And God blessed them. And God said to them, “… fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”” I don’t believe sin nullified that command - I think sin only made it harder to accomplish. We have a call, as Christians, to be involved with nature. We have a responsibility to be good stewards of nature. And, I think we are called to have a certain conviction to enjoy nature. Some of us may enjoy it more than others and that’s ok - just as long as we enjoy what God has given us and surrounds us with. Maybe it’s time we start talking more about God and His creation, God and His beautiful nature, the beauty that God graces the world around us for us to enjoy. 


My kitchen windows overlook our front yard, in which are two beautiful magnolia trees. Across the street is a span of woods, populated by pines, cedars and oaks. In the morning, as I make my coffee, I find myself spending more time just standing there,  looking out at the scene, taking in what God has beautified my surroundings with. I am thankful for that view - even as I write this, from our table, I have that view, with the rain falling all around the bigger magnolia tree, and in the background the woods, with the pine trees swaying in the breeze. This is what God has created. And He has enabled me to see it for that and to enjoy His beauty in it. For that, I am thankful that God has sanctified me to see more of Him in the world around us. Let me encourage you to go outside, sit and read … take a walk around your neighborhood and look at the nature around you … go for a hike and enjoy the solitude of the woods. May we be a people who enjoy the nature that God has surrounded us with! 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Reluctant ARP Pastor's Take on Synod

A Friendly Response to “A Reluctant ARP Pastor's Take on Synod” - Andy Webb

Evening Worship Services and the ARP by Rev. Benjamin Glaser