Refrigerators & Pastoral Essays - Brian Howard

  



“...Until I Read What I Say”

Flannery O'Connor said “I write because I don't know what I think until I read what I say.” I’m not ashamed to say that I make notes and talking points for all sorts of things. It helps me to be clear and make sure I say what I mean and mean what I say, regardless of the medium. How many times have you cringed when someone asserts, “Well, the Pastor said...,” only to hear your words misconstrued or repeated in the exact opposite way that you intended? By taking a few moments to outline my thoughts beforehand, it helps keep things clear later on.

One practice that I’ve found to be helpful is a kind of personal pastoral essay. I’m not sure if “essay” is the right descriptor. Maybe whitepapers would also be a good label. Such a document is researched, concise, and to be used as a template for discussion. It’s definitely not a journal-ready article or sermon-length resource. These documents can help shape the tone of one’s ministry over the course of 1500 words or so. Here are some examples of topics I’ve shared with various Sessions and Church Members over the years: Fencing the Table, Aspersion vs. Immersive Baptism, Covenant Baptism & Rebaptism, Dispensationalism and Covenant Theology in “End Times” Studies. Here’s an example.

A Refrigerator-Rift

The strangest document I prepared was Refrigerator Energy Costs. When a church I was serving purchased a professional-grade refrigerator for its fellowship hall, it quickly became a source of division. Divided church members were resetting the temperature in secret between Sundays. There was disagreement as to who had authority over the fridge. Mind you, this new fridge was costing pennies-per-day while at the same time, the church was also running several older energy-hogging refrigerators and ice-makers. We ended up needing a leadership meeting about the whole debacle. It was helpful to show that the new refrigerator wasn’t an energy problem. Once that was out of the way, we were able to get down to the deeper issues of communication and trust among some of the leaders.

Why Not a Sermon?

Most pastors have weekly opportunities to speak in detail on a given matter. But there’s often a need for a 3 minute conversation rather than the 30 minute sermon, even on big issues. Gathering one’s thoughts in written form can be helpful. In addition, when questions arise of a confessional or historical nature, it’s helpful to have a document that cites the various sources that are foundational for a doctrinal issue. When a family wants to understand why you won’t re-baptize their child, they’d like a tender, gracious answer rather than a half-hour treatise. A pastoral essay becomes a good conversation starter as well as a take-home resource for them to reference later.

Caveats- A Pastoral Essay Is:

1. A resource to be discussed. Meet over coffee and then send it home. Don’t hand it off in a hurry one Sunday morning or send a late-night e-mail.

 

 2. A resource for internal use. I’m writing these essays specifically as a pastor to my flock, not sending them far and wide to Presbytery or Synod.

3. A final step. Essays get written after whatever issue at hand hasn't been easily resolved within a few personal conversations or Elder-led discussions.

4. An interim step. I offer these essays before recommending a lengthier monograph or book that would also be helpful, but perhaps less likely to be ready right away.

5. Living documents. Pastoral essays are rough and ready. I want to speak to a specific issue for a specific people in a specific time and place not get into every possible attribute of a given issue. That’s where good books come in.

Conclusion

Writing out an issue is helpful for me to get at the heart of what I think without taking a half-hour sermon to do so. Once written, these resources can be adapted over time--especially for common issues. However, they must be handled with great pastoral care. No one wants an aloof pastor who speaks in essays instead of empathy.

“Father, help us as ministers to think critically and creatively when we work through ministry issues that are unique to our specific people and places. Let us be both bold and tender in proclaiming your Word and expressing the Gospel through our various traditions and practices. In Jesus’ name, Amen.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Reluctant ARP Pastor's Take on Synod

A Friendly Response to “A Reluctant ARP Pastor's Take on Synod” - Andy Webb

Evening Worship Services and the ARP by Rev. Benjamin Glaser