Dr. Strangelove or How I Started Loving the Sixth Question - Brian Taylor

 




The Sixth Question

Having entered the Presbyterian Church through the auspices of American Presbyterianism, I was a bit taken aback when I discovered, in the ARP’s membership vows, the infamous sixth question: (6) Do you accept that the doctrines and principles of the Standards of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church are founded upon the Scriptures? Now some might be a bit surprised by my use of the adjective “infamous.” Yet, in my setting, it did become a wee bit of a stir to prospective members, especially those unaccustomed to such requirements for membership. What do we mean by this question? Now, I myself needed to seek counsel and clarity, which I will now attempt to pass on to you. By this question, we are asking prospective members to affirm that the ARP and her doctrinal standards, what we refer to as the Westminster Standards, are, well, founded upon Scripture. That is, the ARP is not teaching doctrines of demons, at least not when her ministers remain faithful to our Standards. Putting it another way, do you regard us as a biblical church, even should you, as a member, struggle with certain doctrines we adhere to? 

We are most blessed to be a part of a denomination that holds the Westminster Standards and traditional Presbyterian polity, worship and discipline. As one who has gone through a tedious process to get where I am at today, doctrinally, I am most thankful and glad for the sixth question. After all, for all who believe as I do, should we not rightly expect these doctrines to be taught and defended? As with any denomination, we have the right, even the responsibility to not just publish our beliefs, but to preach and teach these beliefs. As a minister or member, I should not have to concern myself with someone entering our ranks and, upon seeing their first infant baptism, call down fire upon us (read with a smile, please). Actually, quite the reverse should be the expectation, for one reason to associate yourself with a bunch Reformed Presbyterians is that you are a Reformed Presbyterian. I would even go so far as to say those of this stripe get first dibs as to expectations regarding teaching and preaching. 

In light of this, the infamous sixth question has, for me, turned out to be a safety-valve for the purity and peace of the Church. It invites any prospective member to pause and actually investigate what we believe. I do think knowing the beliefs of a church is a good idea, especially when joining her. It further assures the members that they will not be verbally harangued in the comfort of their home church because they actually believe what they believe. After all, this is why we hold to the necessity of denominations. It is our way, during this imperfect age we live in, to hold to the unity of the Church while also recognizing our disagreements. Finally, it provides the minster with confidence in his preaching and teaching, as well as protection from frivolous charges of false teaching.  So, I have grown to love the sixth question, and I don’t think that strange at all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Reluctant ARP Pastor's Take on Synod

A Friendly Response to “A Reluctant ARP Pastor's Take on Synod” - Andy Webb

Evening Worship Services and the ARP by Rev. Benjamin Glaser